Friday 2 May 2014

Creating the 16 Page Publication Mock Up Perfect Bound

Perfect bound book 


For my book i decided to experiment with different types of binding so i could see what would work best with my book. 

I firstly created a perfect bound book. 



To start i printed the pages out so they were individual sleeves, and then held them together with sound clips. 


I then sanded the pages down so they were perfectly flat and applied a layer of glue along the paper. 


I then left it to dry and placed the book under some heavy weights to help the glue dry in the correct place. After this i then applies another layer so it is strong. 




The result i felt was strong but it didn't feel the book was physically that strong because there was so few pages. I did however like how it opened up flat because i had bikes going across a fold. 



I then decided to add a cover to see how that would work and if it would give me extra strength.

I started with having the cover that i folded 3 times so it would fit round the edge of the book and also lay flat on the top and bottom of the book.




I think i carried out this method really well and the quality of the finish was high. I like how the book folds flat because throughout my publication i have a number of different illustrations that go across the pages. Despite this the book is a very small number of pages and i don't think is suited to this method of binding, especially as my publication is to be handed out in shops, and so it would realistically being using a much faster method of binding such as staple binding or a quick 3 hole pamphlet stitch. 

I think though i have developed a very helpful skill here that i can now carry across to other modules and start creating and binding my own books.

No comments:

Post a Comment